Jun 9, 2011

The high point on a roller coaster ride

It's day 28 in Ghana.

We discussed the emotional roller coaster that accompanies culture shock during our pre-departure training in Toronto. We'll go through emotional ups and downs and plateaus during our stay in Ghana.

I can firmly say that I am at an emotional high right now, especially so today.

I feel great walking to my tro-tro stop in the morning. I wave good morning to the security guard Ahmad Musa and Alhassan. I wave to the lady selling roasted yams outside the guest house where I'm staying. I wave down the tro-tro that I take to work. I wave to the security guard at my office and greet everyone on the news room with a happy 'good morning.'

I get amazingly restless at work at times (I don't always get assigned work to do) but I feel great going home from work all the same.

My biggest gripe right now has to do with food and the less-than-hyginic conditions of my living quarters. If I were living here for a longer time, I'd get a place with a kitchen where I can cook and a bathroom that I can clean whenever I need to. Problem solved.

I can fully imagine myself living here for a longer spell. Let's see how I feel in two weeks' time.

No comments: