Sep 19, 2004

From Green Gables to Avonlea


Dear Miss Anne (spelled with an ‘e’) Shirley,

It is wonderful to make your acquaintance once again. It has been a dreadfully long while since I last saw the likes of you in Green Gables. I see that you have come to sprinkle your touch on the whole of Avonlea this time! I have missed your old friends, your bosom friends Diana Barry, Jane Andrews and Gilbert Blythe. Also your little adventures down the Birch Path, past the Fairies’ Pond, through The Haunted Woods, up Lovers’ Lane and finally home at Green Gables, where Marilla, sweet, old Marilla Cuthbert, waits for you, ready for another story of the day’s happenings.
I am quite tickled to see that you are still enraged at any mention of your fiery red hair. Pardon me, that’s auburn now. I am sure that it is now the handsomest shade of auburn that you have always hoped it would be. By the way, have those dimples in your elbows turned up?

I notice an increasing mention of Gilbert’s name in your many conversations. I smell romance brewing between the two of you. It may be late in coming, but it’s arrival is just as sure as any of your misgivings for calamity. Oh yes, yes of course, the two of you are the bosomest of friends!
I have so far enjoyed the recount of your first day as Avonlea’s school teacher. Worry not, dear Miss Anne, the children will, in time, come to adore you once they see how dedicated you are to their education and well-being. And if that Jonathan Pye boy never comes to like you, don’t fret too much, for the Pyes have not the slightest liking for anyone else but themselves!

I am thoroughly impressed with your vision of the A.V.I.S. I think it is a splendid idea and wish you all the luck. Avonlea is a wonderful place, but it can use some improvements here and there. Old Mrs. Rachel Lynn will come to support your intentions, Anne, and if she doesn’t, you shouldn’t have to worry of her going against you, for the old lady is more fond of you than she lets on!

I’m afraid I must end my correspondence here, for there are urgent matters at hand. I anxiously turn the pages for your next foray into adventure (or mishap!) in quiet little Avonlea.

Till then, I remain your most devoted friend and truest fan.

No comments: